SATURDAY, JANUARY 29TH, 8:30 AM – 6:30 PM COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK CRIMINAL JUSTICE CAUCUS
REMOVING THE BARS CONFERENCE:
A SKILLS-BASED CONFERENCE ON CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Moving beyond increasing awareness to building skills!!
Free admission! Breakfast and lunch will be served!
Location: 1255 Amsterdam Ave. (between 121st and 122nd), Manhattan, NY
[A,B,C or D to 125th; 1 to 125th; M11 or M60 buses]
Workshop leaders and presentations from formerly incarcerated people as well as leading organizations including the Children’s Defense Fund, Osborne Association, St. Luke Roosevelt Hospital, Safe Horizon Mediation Center, Families for Freedom, GEMS, Bronx Defenders and many more!
Workshops (to date):
NYS Juvenile Justice System and Policy Advocacy
NYS Adult Re-entry Systems, Processes & Services
Problem-solving Courts: Steps to making the change
Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services for Adults & Juveniles
Restorative Justice & Victims’ Services
Immigration & the Criminal Justice System
Understanding the unique issues of girls & women: Sex trafficking & Abuse
Unique issues of LGBTQ people in the CJ/Prison systems
Policing communities of color: Stop & Frisk in NYC
Supporting People with Loved Ones in Prison
Education & Employment for Formerly Incarcerated People
Benefits & Voting Rights of Formerly Incarcerated People
School to Prison Pipeline
Positive Youth Development: Working with Youth in the Juvenile Justice System
REGISTER TODAY! For more information or to register, please email or call 973.271.7579.
- New York’s Parole System Is ‘Broken,’ But Cuomo Can Help Fix It by Victoria Law June 5, 2017
- International Conference to Discuss “Mandela Rules” on Prison Reforms April 25-29 in Costa Rica
- Political Interests in Albany Could Finally Align to ‘Raise The Age’ Of Criminal Responsibility BY CHRISTINA VEIGA Chalkbeat March 16, 2017
- The Context for the Trump Phenomenon
- ‘Those Visits Were Everything’: How Prison Visitation Cuts Devastate Families
- Flanagan Says ‘Raise The Age’ Will Be Part of Budget Talks By Nick Niedzwiadek Politico February 22, 2017
- Mancos woman works to free innocent prisoners across the country By Jonathan Romeo Herald Staff Writer | Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017 10:55 PM
- Governor Cuomo has proposed cutting visit days from 7 to 3 in New York’s maximum security prisons.
- Join People’s Parole Watch Feb. 27
- State Withdraws Request for Medicaid Coverage for Prisoners, Funding for HIV By Josefa Velasquez Politico January 27, 2017